Goodbye 2am Insomnia !

Well 9 times out of 10 shall we say! I have been meaning to share this breathing technique that is absolutely fab!! I have been so busy telling everyone about it that I forgot to blog about it to follow on from my post “Hello 2am!” https://mybestbreastforward.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/hello-2-am/ which seems to have been resolved! I am no longer woken up by drill like snoring from my lovely husband due to my lovely spare room which can be read about here https://mybestbreastforward.wordpress.com/2018/05/23/my-spare-room-haven/ because despite a few occasions of wondering about it over 18 years, I haven`t actually left him, just the room πŸ˜‰! But I am still woken up by the need to wee or pee or whatever you like to call it. Usually at 2am ish, like clockwork. So, what is it I hear you ask?? Stop waffling and spill the beans woman!

Well it is something I caught by accident on an Instagram clip on insomnia and this British doctor (Dr Hilary Jones..still a handsome devil in his 60s) mentions the 4-7-8 Yoga Breathing Technique and my ears prick up. In for 4 seconds, hold for 7 and out for 8 he says and repeat 3x !! I will put a youtube link below of a yoga guru demonstrating it as I was doing it wrong at first, although it still seemed to work but not as well. So basically there I am at 2am, get the wee bit done in as little light as possible, back in bed and immediately start the technique, roll over after, get comfy and 9 times out of 10 it works. I am absolutely bloody flabbergasted and so grateful I caught the clip because it isn`t that well known from what I can gather. I don’t even second guess it now and do it as soon as I get back in bed. I have actually been using it during the day too as it really deals with any stressful times that occur. But obviously I don`t fall asleep, it`s just gets the breathing all relaxed. Gosh I sound all zen like πŸ˜‰! It’s sort of become a nice part of my life. I must admit that at first it felt a bit weird, I don’t know why. It works I think because you are actually only taking 3 deep breathes in a minute and I guess that would feel a bit strange at first. If it doesn`t work for me, I wait 10 mins and do it again. But sometimes I am even nodding off halfway through the technique, so thank you Dr Hilary, you handsome devil.

Here is the youtube clip (not handsome Dr Hilary Jones by the way! )

Enjoy!

I hope it works for you too!

Until Next Time

PP

22 thoughts on “Goodbye 2am Insomnia !

1. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

It’s so good. If a little weird at first. You will get better at it too so it becomes second nature. I hope you are ok ?

Liked by 1 person

2. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

Oh gosh. I hope not too Keep me informed!! I would hate it to start for you. Mine is like a clock at just past 2am 😁

Liked by 1 person

3. Cozynookbks says:

I woke up again this morning at 4:32 a.m., and felt wide awake!! But fortunately I just stayed in bed and must have fallen back to sleep within a few minutes because the next time I woke up it was around 7:00 a.m. On top of everything else that goes on with my body, I can’t add insomnia too. πŸ€¦πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

Liked by 1 person

4. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

Waking up at that time is actually really difficult for me. I should really get up because I can nod back off and then feel groggy when my alarm goes off. Often have weird dreams in those hours too . Fingers crossed no more for you after these two episides πŸ˜•

Liked by 1 person

5. beatdepression776 says:

Ooh, I never thought of breathing exercises. Right now, I’m having a hot flush so I’m not thinking straight, but it seems that if I tried this during the night, I may end up drowning in my own sweat. And geesh, is that REALLY Dr Hilary in that video? He looks so different! thanks for the tips anyway. I’ll check out that vid some time.

Liked by 1 person

6. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. That made me giggle. Does feel a bit like a drenching some nights! No that isn’t Dr Hilary Jones..just a yoga guru. Fear not Dr Hilary is still handsome but more a silver fox these days. Helen xx

Liked by 1 person

7. Ali says:

Thank you for this! I did think you might be losing your mind about Dr Hillary when I saw the bearded chap. Not that there’s anything wrong with the Captain Birdseye look…

Liked by 1 person

8. Perimenopausal Ponderings says:

I think I might have to put the warning about it not being Dr Hilary in bold hahaha. Oh Captain Birdseye. Now there`s a memory. It`s a great tip that seems to be working for me most of the time πŸ™‚