An Aura Migraine.

When I think about the word “Aura”, I think about all those people who believe that others walk around displaying good or bad “Auras”, you know, like lavender or silver. It`s not that I don`t believe in any of this, I am quite open to all sorts of beliefs and feelings, but I haven`t seen it myself…..yet. I did have a visit from my own “Aura” of a different kind recently though, a very uneasy feeling and sadly no colours around heads. It seems, according to my GP, that I have been experiencing Aura Migraines and they are an absolute bitch to handle to put it mildly. They never seem to time their visits well either!

Like the fear inducing first painful migraine that had me bed ridden, vomiting and having diarrhea soon after childbirth, this too had me panic stricken that I was either going blind or having a brain haemorrhage. It, like the painful type, did pass and only then did I realise what had happened and waited for the next one ☹. I knew there would be one and it was a few weeks later.

This is how my first one happened, completely out of the blue and not good timing at all but if it stops anyone else freaking out it`s worth a go at describing…….

I had just had a morning at a local organic farm I have joined. It was a fabulous morning and we were just finishing up lunch after working. It was a gorgeous sunny day. Now, I do need glasses for reading but felt I couldn`t see the other girls in my group properly as we were leaving, so put them on thinking I had best see the optician next week. But no help at all.

Suddenly, and I will try to describe this moment…I felt like I could only see through a speech bubble through my left eye, everything around it as I walked was a blur. All vision but that small circle went. Stairs were a nightmare to fathom and I felt really unsteady on my feet. Covering my left eye didn`t stop it either and I was about to drive to pick my daughter up. In hindsight had I known it was going to subside I would have waited. But in the moment I wanted to get us home as I didn’t know what was happening. As soon as I saw her I had to ask her about my left eye. She tends to think I`m a drama queen at times but she could see I was in a different state of worry than usual. I was convinced my eye must look odd, I don`t know, red or bulging but she convinced me it looked fine. We sat for about 20 mins and it suddenly went as quickly as it had appeared. The relief was unbelievable. I felt elated. My sight was fine.

On googling when I got back home, I was convinced, if it had been an Aura Migraine, then any images I could look at would be useless as how can anyone know what you are seeing ?? A little like hypnagogic hallucinations that I have, that no one else can see, but only describe. But no! Google images captured, and I have no idea how, what I had experienced spot on! Here is an idea of what it was like….

So, my next mission was to see if these are linked to the perimenopause and bingo! What do you know, they are! Oh joy 😕! Another thing to worry about and dread getting at any time of day. Perhaps I shall keep a log of when they occur? The third paragraph of the article I have attached links the perimenopause and migraines.

It was not so long ago I was grateful the migraines I suffered in my thirties had pretty much stopped, so to have a few of these has p+#@*d me off ! Yes, they are shorter, yes there is no pain or vomiting or days of head fuzz after but they are so disconcerting especially that initial one. Bloody hormones!! Bugger off you’ve caused enough havoc already !!☹

19 thoughts on “An Aura Migraine.

1. ladygaladriel50 says:

Those damned hormones have such a lot to answer for. During perimenopause, it’s the continual chopping and changing levels. One day normal and balanced, the next day too much oestrogen and not enough progesterone! Just settle down already!
    I’m on the other side and still feel a little hormonal now and again… I totally sympathise with you and the migraines… the auras scare the living poop out of me!

Liked by 2 people

2. Kathleen says:

Yeah, auras are hell. I´ve been having them since I was a kid. Actually, I rarely have a headache when the migraine hits, I only have auras, but they are very bad, and scary and they last for hours. I can be half-blinded for hours, and semi-paralysed and with afasia and all. It really sucks. Luckily I know what it is because I´ve had it basically forever, and I know it always goes away. But I can imagine it must scare the living daylights out of you when it happens for the first time.

Liked by 1 person

3. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

That is exactly the cause it seems, all that fluctuating and probably why they are so difficult to predict. Did your auras stop “on the other side” ? I think I may be in for a long road. They are so frightening and the thing about them is, you just can`t stop it and feel so damn weird!!

Liked by 1 person

4. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

Kathleen, that is terrible that you have suffered for so many years! Gosh I am only just beginning and am into my forties! I have had to google “afasia” as it isn`t something I had heard of before. Combined with the visual disturbance, it must be terrifying. Do you have them regularly? So sorry to hear 😦

5. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

Ha Ha ! Well you are in good company with me as I always feel a bit weird and I think it`s getting worse the longer I am out of work. I`ll be talking to myself next 😉

Liked by 1 person

6. Kathleen says:

I have an average of 15 attacks per year I think (once had a very good year with only 5 attacks, once a very bad one with 32 attacks). Yeah, it´s not easy. I kept losing my job because I had to call in sick too often, and last summer I just gave up, so now I´m a stay-at-home mum until I´ve figured out what to do.
    The strange thing is: I was already used to it because it´s how I grew up. until I started realising it´s not normal that you keep losing your job and for example have to go through hell when you have a baby. When my daughter was little I´d have three attacks a months. That´s why we decided not to have another child. Cause it was crazy. Sometimes I had to take care of her and I couldn´t even see her. But anyway, we got a really nice dog instead of a second child 🙂
    And at least when I´m fine, well, I´m fine. I know there are people who have chronic headaches, which must be so horrible… I did find my way to live with it, and luckily I´m surrounded by loving people.

Liked by 1 person

7. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

That’s us both stay at home mums for reasons we can’t control. I would love not to be , especially now my youngest is 11 but try and think about in that I can be without us struggling so accept it and be happy. I find that makes me happier…if a little invisible 😉. I am so glad to hear your auras are less now ❤

8. myjourneyasavintagehousewife says:

Wow this is very interesting and I am so glad I clicked on your blog when I was over at waling up on the wrong side of 50 in the comments where we were all answering the QUESTION why we blog? But I have migraines and I’ve been in menopause since I was 47 and I’m now 52, soon to be 53. My husband tells me also that he has migraines nit as often as he used to but he will see these like flashing lights before they come on. When I clicked on the photos you found on google I was intrigued! I’ll have to tell him. I find mine come on more or stronger to if I’m stressing myself out over something who knows it could be me over thinking things because I do that! Great blog so glad I found it!

Liked by 2 people

9. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

Lovely to hear from you and thank you for following. I am such a newbie still. But as I said in LA’s blog, I love it !! I am so glad you found this helpful. I don’ t know what made me google the image part of google but it was absolutely spot on as to what I had experienced. Part of me felt fed up that like yourself these aura migraines seem linked to my age but I also felt relieved that it was what others had experienced. I wasn’t alone. Do you both experience pain or just auras or both ?

10. Living The Change 6 Powerful Steps says:

Thank you for this post! I would have never related migraines to perimenopause. I experienced something very similar to what you describe. For a full 20 minutes I thought I was having a stroke because of the disturbed vision. People had no heads and stationary objects moving around, it was a very unsettling. At the time I worked in a hospital as a social worker and was on my way to A&E with a colleague when it suddenly stopped. Thankfully I’ve not had one since.

Liked by 1 person

11. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

You are very welcome and I am so glad you only had the one. Your description of people with no heads is one of the visions (or lack of) I had as I was leaving my friends, I was saying goodbye thinking “I can`t see you all”. It was so frightening and yes, as well as going blind and brain hemorrhage thoughts, a stroke crossed my mind too. There is just no warning either.

Liked by 1 person

12. menopauseandmerlot says:

Before I got diagnosed with premature ovarian failure my migraines were a nightmare, a couple a week, and all of a sudden auras that I had never experienced before. You’re right it totally is hard to describe when you’re having one. Mine are like…tunnel vision with rainbow hues. I’m so sorry you and anyone else ever has to experience them! Mine got a lot better after I started hrt. Still an occasional migraine, but no aura since about a year ago 🤞 damn hormones!

Liked by 1 person

13. Perimenopause Ponderings says:

Tunnel vision sums it up perfectly. No rainbows for me just blurryness ( is that even a word ?? 😉😉 ). Glad yours haven’t returned. Xx